Knowledge Base

Chemical Spill or Leak

Any chemical spills or leaks should be reported immediately as these involve very dangerous and hazardous situations. If you are aware of a chemical spill or leak that has taken place, please contact the City-Parish as soon as possible by dialing 3-1-1 and provide as much information as possible to describe the situation (such as if chemicals appear to have spilled into nearby storm drains). Any spills – accidental releases or otherwise – are required to follow strict notification and reporting protocols as outlined in Sec. 2:367.

You may also contact the Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) at (225) 219-3640 to report the spill or leak. If a spill or leak occurs on a state route it will typically be overseen by DEQ, while spills or leaks on city or parish routes, or city-owned property, will be coordinated primarily through the City-Parish Environmental Division.

That being said, you may contact either the City-Parish or DEQ to report the spill or leak as both agencies are partners in addressing and resolving potentially hazardous situations involving chemical spills or leaks.
Updated 12/23/2015 10:43 AM
Was this page helpful? Yes No
Thanks for your feedback!